Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:36:36PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > Was the issue with using "aboot" for net booting addressed with this patch
> > set?  I've not had need of that functionality, but I can probably rig up a
> > test if there's a reason to do so...
>
> The patch I applied was strictly for fixing the PT_LOAD issue.  I don't know
> what net booting issue you're referring to, but it's entirely possible that
> it's one that was fixed upstream prior to 1.0pre20040408.

The SRM-HOWTO says netbooting with "aboot" is broken: there's a way to
make a netbootable (using bootp) image using the kernel source tree
code under arch/alpha/boot.  As I said, though, I've not had any need
for that functionality, and I haven't tried it.  It's possible that the
SRM-HOWTO included with the "aboot" source is out of date and therefore
mistaken about netbooting being broken.

However, I'm happy to report that your new "aboot" works just fine with
2.6.23-rc3.

The following behavior is new to 2.6.23-rcX, and I don't think it's
related to "aboot"...  I have the bootlogo code enabled, and at some
point during the system startup, the logo disappears (expected) and
the virtual console switches from tty1 to tty2 (unexpected).  I can
switch back to tty1, so other than the unexpected console switch,
there doesn't seem to be anything "unfortunate" happening.  Is anyone
else seeing this?

Bob Tracy               | "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
rct@frus.com            |  sucked into jet engines."       --Anon