Re: [BUG] 2.6.23-rc3 won't boot on alpha (fwd)

Tom Evans wrote:
> Please help me understand - no patched version will go to
> experimental/unstable?
>
> I will try to test tonight or tomorrow - is there a .deb already, or
> should I build it?
> I went to the link looking for a .deb - which is why I backed off -
> figured someone would ask the questions that I was afraid to ask.
>
> Also, it was unclear to me what the difference between Richard's patch
> and the once provided.
> I realize it addresses issues other than the PT_NOTE issue - is that the
> sole reason that it is not used?

Steve's in a better position to explain himself, but my interpretation
of recent postings is that nothing's going to experimental/unstable
until *someone* screws up his courage and actually tries using a
"bootlx" built from his patched source package.  Yes, "experimental" and
"unstable" both imply that a package in that category could conceivably
result in hair growth on your palms and "peace without honor," but the
wider community has gotten spoiled and expects better quality than that.
Consider yourself a qualified tester if you have an alternative method of
booting your machine in the event the new bootlx is completely hosed :-).

In all seriousness, the risk of damage to your system other than "can't
boot from the hard drive" is minimal if you read the "swriteboot"
documentation carefully and proceed with caution.  By the original
author's admission, "swriteboot" doesn't perform a lot of error checking,
but as long as you aren't deliberately trying to screw yourself over, the
program is pretty safe.  It would probably be wise not to volunteer for
testing if your machine is set up to boot multiple OSes.  I feel pretty
safe: I've got a bootable CD that should get the system up far enough to
install a working bootlx if the new one doesn't work.

Bob Tracy               | "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get
rct@frus.com            |  sucked into jet engines."       --Anon