Re: testing X crashes and other problems

--- Michael Cree <mcree@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> The major problem:  X crashes, well, it locks up and takes up 100%
> CPU.  First couple of times, I didn't witness the lockup - it
> happened either when the screen saver was active, or when I was
> logged out with only the login window active.  Today it happened when
> I was logged in and using the desktop.  The desktop display suddenly
> just froze. I could move the mouse pointer, but could not cause any
> response whatsoever in the display.  The keyboard died (i.e. hitting
> caps lock key didn't on switch caps lock light).

*Exactly* the same symptoms seen only in the last week on my Athlon system.

<<<
bash-3.1$ Xorg -version

X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: Linux Debian
Current Operating System: Linux nonospaz 2.6.16-2-k7 #1 Fri Aug 18 19:48:42 UTC
2006 i686
Build Date: 14 July 2007
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present

bash-3.1$ cat /etc/debian_version
lenny/sid

I was rock solid before upgrading to that xorg. I now lock up once every couple
of days. Apparently spontaniously.

> I managed to
> establish a ssh session to the Alpha via the network.  The Xorg
> process was running at 100%.  I managed to renice it (so the machine
> wasn't so sluggish), but I couldn't kill the Xorg process.  Only a
> reboot frees up the machine.  Has anyone else observed similar
> behaviour?  Any clues as to what I should be looking for to narrow
> down what is causing this lock up?   The xorg.log file doesn't offer
> any clues.

I kill -9'ed my window manager (after it failed to respond to other sigs), and
that propogated up the spawn chain to kill the whole of X. So maybe there's two
flavours of this bug?

Phil

()  ASCII ribbon campaign      ()    Hopeless ribbon campaign
/\    against HTML mail        /\  against gratuitous bloodshed

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/