testing X crashes and other problems

Hi Debian Alpha Users

I thought I'd take the risk and update my XP1000 (EV67) to Debian testing and see how things are going. Big mistake, but now that I have done such a rash thing, I might as well lodge some problem reports to help with the bug fixing on testing.

The major problem: X crashes, well, it locks up and takes up 100% CPU. First couple of times, I didn't witness the lockup - it happened either when the screen saver was active, or when I was logged out with only the login window active. Today it happened when I was logged in and using the desktop. The desktop display suddenly just froze. I could move the mouse pointer, but could not cause any response whatsoever in the display. The keyboard died (i.e. hitting caps lock key didn't on switch caps lock light). I managed to establish a ssh session to the Alpha via the network. The Xorg process was running at 100%. I managed to renice it (so the machine wasn't so sluggish), but I couldn't kill the Xorg process. Only a reboot frees up the machine. Has anyone else observed similar behaviour? Any clues as to what I should be looking for to narrow down what is causing this lock up? The xorg.log file doesn't offer any clues.

I am running a self-compiled 2.6.22.1 kernel. It had been running stably with etch for a couple of weeks. With upgrade to testing the Xorg package installed is 1:7.2-5 and xserver-xorg-core is 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-11. The display card is a Radeon ATI 9250. There is also a Hauppauge PVR350 installed which has MPEG display out, and I've just notice that I had a screen section for it in the Xorg.conf, however I don't have the ivtv-fb module installed so X couldn't use it, and anyway X got up and going (and rejected that output device) so I doubt if that is the problem - I had been using X for about an hour before the lockup.

The minor problem: I can't get locales installed. Apt-get install locales generates messages of the sort:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "en_NZ:en_US:en_GB:en",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_NZ"

and then finally I get the message:

*** update-locale: Error: invalid locale settings: LOCPATH=/usr/lib/ locales-all LANG=en_NZ
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9

The package is left in the failed-config state. Trying to run dpkg- reconfigure locales fails. I have tried playing with the various environment variables (LANG, LANGUAGE, LOCPATH) and put more entries into the file (including making sure one for en_US) in /etc/ locale.gen. But nothing seems to break the impasse. Suggestions?

Cheers
Michael Cree.