Re: Congratulation on Etch release

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:35:03PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > (2) being unable to build firefox with gcc/g++ 4.X (compiler segfault
> >     during build).  firefox-1.5.X and -2.0.X build fine with gxx-3.4,
> >     although it takes nearly eight hours for a build to finish due to
> >     incredibly long "ld" times for some of the libraries.  The good
> >     news is, it works: linux-on-alpha users *can* have modern web
> >     browsers :-).
>
> Uh?  Debian etch *ships* with modern web browsers on alpha; is there some
> reason that you found the Debian iceweasel package insufficient?

You mean, other than not knowing about it :-) ?  I wanted something more
recent than Mozilla when I was running Sarge, so I got used to rolling my
own firefox early on.  I had 2.0.0.3 running before the upgrade to Etch,
and it never occurred to me to go looking for an official Debian package
under a different name.  Even if I no longer have to build my own for the
Alpha, I still have to do that for some older x86 machines I'm using: the
official firefox releases are for i686, and it doesn't take long for the
app to die on an illegal instruction trap on those machines :-(.

> > Item (2) may be a non-issue with the stable versions of gxx-4.X in Etch.
> > I'll report back when I know one way or the other.  Item (1) needs more
> > research, and I'll do what I can there as well.  Anyone else running
> > radvd (IPv6 support)?  Version 1.0-1 of that package is what's generating
> > most of the "unaligned trap" messages I'm seeing.
>
> Heh, what an unpleasant daemon to have that in.

Agreed :-).  Sources retrieved.  Next thing is to build an unstripped
version of the package to make the debugging a bit easier.

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com