Re: Congratulation on Etch release

Paul Slootman wrote:
> Unaligned traps point to code needing fixing, not binutils / whatever.
>
> > radvd (IPv6 support)?  Version 1.0-1 of that package is what's generating
> > most of the "unaligned trap" messages I'm seeing.
>
> Network code often displays unaligned traps, because it does a read of
> network data, and then wants to access e.g. a 32-bit value from that;
> and typically that data is somewhere halfway a word and thus not
> aligned. The code needs to be fixed to eg. first copy the data with
> memcpy to an aligned address before accessing the value.
>
> Tracking down where the unaligned access takes place can be done with
> gdb and the address the kernel gives. This could be reported via a bug
> report, perhaps with severity minor.  It's worth fixing, as unaligned
> traps cost performance. See also
> http://www.alphalinux.org/archives/debian-alpha/May2001/0062.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2005/08/msg00051.html

Good info.  Now I have some idea where to look.  Apologies for missing
the above references in my research.  I was (am) basically at the point
Craig Small was -- needing a way to track down and describe the bug in
such a way that code/package maintainers might be motivated to apply an
appropriate fix.  The second reference above looks like the ticket as
far as tracking down the offending userspace code.

Many thanks!

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com