Re: OpenWRT

    Yes, this is all soooo true! And another whole reason why I've been
buying up cheap $15 laptops so I can have my little geek way with them
in a much more energy efficient and environmentally conscientious
fashion. In fact even run them free forever on a equally cheap gellcell
and quite small and cheap chinese solar panel.
    OTOH -- the whole reason I bought my first multia was to have my
very own DEC ALPHA -- 64bit unix box to play with, eh? And there's still
that bit of techno-lust that thus far has kept me from literally tossing
it, not to mention the ridiculous amount of time I've spent in the last
couple years trying to get it actually fully functioning properly, and
now that I've finally succeeded in having my way with it, why, what do I
do but immediately drop the cute little thing for new and even younger
--- uh, hmm, gee, maybe I should talk to my shrink about this.

   And I also have to confess that I was seriously lusting after some
other alpha boxes that I saw on ebay -- much bigger iron, 4 cpu's each,
raid, etc and the place that had them was even willing to give them away
free -- but they refused to ship because they were so big and heavy and
required crates and trucking and all that stuff that they refused to
deal with -- if only they were closer. My wife would be soo thrilled to
see me dragging a huge alpha minicomputer up to my room. And think of
the electric bill for that thing!
    One thing for sure, even now, my computer room is the warmest room
in the house, since rising heat bills forced us to turn down the thermostat.

        8-)

Steve Langasek wrote:

> I know it's popular among geeks, particularly Debian geeks, to repurpose old
> hardware to keep it running indefinitely, but power consumption is a real,
> hidden cost of running old hardware.  I don't have any hard numbers, but I'm
> sorry to say that I suspect buying a new WAP54G AP or similar[1], instead
> of running a multia[2],

   Yeah, actually I do have a very nice little WRT54GS that I run
OpenWRT on and it is the access point for the house. Kinda' hard to
explain what I do with the multia -- it has two seano wifi nics each
with two cantennas on them, and.... well, it's a fun toy.

 will easily pay for itself in terms of your electric

--
Harmon Seaver