Re: updated kernels / miata sound

On Sun May 28 2006 01:51, Michael Cree wrote:
> Yes, I have also been having problems getting the ALSA sound driver
> working under a 2.6 kernel on both an XP1000 and a PWS600au.  When I
> was running the Debian 2.4 kernel the OSS sb driver worked fine.

The old oss sb driver used to work okay on my PWS500au too.

> I am currently running my own compiled 2.6.16.12 kernel, but I had
> the same problems when I tried the 2.6.15-whatever debian test kernel
> a couple or so months back.

Stock alsa drivers have never worked on my box (the looping problem).

> I don't get any sound out of the system at all. Running one of the
> alsa sound test programs (speaker-test) produces no sound, and
> eventually the kernel starts barfing error messages "Bad page state"
> with much unilluminating hex numbers (is this an oops?).

Yeah.  That should give you some white noise.  Any chance you didn't unmute
the appropriate channels and turn up their volume (see alsamixer -- 'm'
unmutes and the up arrow turns up the volumes)?  The default is (or at least
was at one point in time) fully muted with all the volumes turned down.

Does the driver load okay, what does it claims you card is (mine is supposedly
an ES1888), and if the mixer program work?

> I just tried the alpha-alsa.patch mentioned earlier in this thread but it
> makes no difference.

Well that does work for me.  I would like to understand why it doesn't work
for you guys.  Right now it seems like I was pretty lucky in getting the alsa
system to work on my machine.

However, just to be sure there hasn't been some fluke kernel version thing or
something, could you please try the linux-image that works on my box (it's
the stock Debian 2.6.14 kernel with the only difference being the addition of
the alsa patch).  All you have to do is download

whitehead.apmaths.uwo.ca/~tyson/linux-image-2.6.14-2-alpha-generic_2.6.14-4_alpha.deb

and "dpkg -i".  Then we would know for sure that there are no other variables
and what works for me doesn't work for you guys.

-T

PS:  I guess it is also possible that something changed

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe at uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                          Dept. of Applied Mathematics,