Re: X server takes 45 seconds to start ...

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:29:55AM +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> but works ....
>
> Hello
> I am using an alaphaserver DS10 ( tsunami chipset ) with a Matrox
> Millenium g450 and a LCD display. The X server works very nicely but
> takes nearly a minute to start. I was wondering if if comes from the
> fact that the X server does not initialize properly the graphic card
> because of a non-i386 architecture.

Yes, that's probably the case.

Try adding to the Device Section:

	Option	"NoINT10" "true"

to prevent the server from attempting to run the BIOS emulation.

> Can i expect somehting better if I use the matrox frame buffer or is it
> not related ? Has anybody tryed it on alpha ?
> According to this doc
> http://www.alphalinux.org/docs/fbcon_faq.shtml it did not work.

I've no experience using the FB stuff...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com