Re: "no link beat found" on digital alpha-station 255

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 07:02:20PM +0100, Philip Kendall wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 12:07:37PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, since you're running 2.4.27, your experiences with the drivers
> > unfortunately don't tell us anything about how things should be structured
> > for etch, which uses a 2.6.15 kernel in the installer with all the bugfixes
> > and regressions that such a jump implies.  By any chance, would you be
> > willing to load a 2.6.15 kernel on the system (from etch, requiring a few
> > other package upgrades), to test whether your networking works with the
> > current default driver selections?
>
> Sure -- I happily flattened the machine on Monday, so flattening it
> again isn't too much of a problem :-)

An update on this:

* I installed linux-image-2.6.15-1-alpha-generic via

$ apt-get install -t testing udev linux-image-2.6.15-1-alpha-generic

* I wondered why I was still booting the old kernel for a bit.

* I edited the symlinks in /boot to point to the new image (the
  package edited the symlinks in /, which aren't used by my
  aboot.conf)

* Booting 2.6.15 hangs just after reading the partition table
  on /dev/sda :-(

I can investigate this more if desired, but probably not until next
weekend.

Cheers,

Phil

--
"I think it's a good time to do some introductions, don't you, gentle
viewers?"