Re: 2.6 kernel of PWS 500au

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 01:57:00PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 17:07 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 06:00:29PM -0700, Chris Brotherton wrote:
> > > I want to upgrade my PWS 500au (Miata GL w/ usb) and I noticed that testing
> > > now has 2.6.15.  For this system, do I want:

> > > linux-image-2.6.15-1-alpha-generic

> > > linux-image-2.6.15-1-alpha-legacy?

> > Generic.  Any system that supports SRM should work with the -generic flavor.

> I have a bunch of LX164s without CD-ROMs, and a Nautilus with a broken
> CD drive.  I haven't found a way to convert them to SRM without the CD.
> Can they boot the -legacy kernels?

Any system that worked with sarge can *also* use the -legacy kernels,
because -legacy uses the kernel config options that were used in the sarge
kernels.  The only difference between the two, right now, is the option for
using the old kernel load address.

FWIW, my LX164 system was flashed to SRM using a floppy rather than a CD.

> Haven't found a way to load an initrd on either of these subarches, that
> is, using MILO or APB...

Er, both kernel flavors are still initrd-based.  I know it's possible to
load an initrd with MILO, but I wouldn't be able to give you any practical
help since I haven't used MILO in 5 years or so.