Re: swriteboot vs debian installer wrt Tru64 disklabel

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Tyson Whitehead wrote:

  > On Tue March 14 2006 12:27, Mariano Iumiento wrote:
  > > I've now been asked to reinstall Tru64 Unix for other business
  > > requirements, but after the completion of all the interactive installation
  > > procedure, I get an error message stating "disklabel: read record #0: No
  > > such file or directory".
  >
  > Total guess (never used Tru64), but I seem to recall reading in the debian
  > Alpha paritioning stuff that Tru64 requires the first parition entry (I
  > believe the parition table that Tru64 uses is called a disklabel) to be the
  > entire disk (i.e., a big block encomposing all the other entries).  Linux
  > doesn't require this.  Maybe something is screwy between this.
  >
  > Later!  -T

Yes, I have had this happen to me when no partition started at the absolute
beginning of the disk.  Unlike linux, Tru64 does not have separate 'disk' and
'partition' devices; it typically uses the 'c' partition device *as* the disk
device, since 'c' is usually the whole disk.

Without a partition that contains the label, Tru64 is even unable to
zero the label, because it could not GET TO the label.  The only way
to repair it appears to be to either go 'low-level' and blow away the
disk label with scu, or repair/zero the label from linux.

If someone knows of another way to fix this from within Tru64, please post.

Thanks,
Toni

Toni Harbaugh-Blackford                   harbaugh@abcc.ncifcrf.gov
System Administrator
Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC)
National Cancer Institute
Contractor - SAIC/Frederick