Re: RES: State of XOrg in testing/unstable

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 04:09:46PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Simon Brown wrote:
> > > Sorry for the excessive mails, this version only exists for i386.

> > > So we'll just have to wait.
> > Xorg 7.1 is now in unstable and using xserver-xorg 7.1 and version
> > 6.6.2 of the ati driver, the situation is unchanged.

> > Could somebody else try and verify this please.

> Ran into a hard stop trying to install xserver-xorg-core_1.1.1-6_alpha.deb.
> It conflicts with virtual package xserver-xorg-video, which is provided by
> each of the xserver-xorg-video-XXX packages.  OK, says I: maybe the
> xserver-xorg-core package is no longer needed.  However, when I attempted
> to remove the existing xserver-xorg-core_1.0.2-10 package, I was informed
> that each of the installed xserver-xorg-video-XXX packages depends on it.

> What's the correct way to resolve this?  Thanks in advance...

By upgrading all of these packages at the same time.  the xserver-xorg-video
virtual package is replaced by xserver-xorg-video-1.0, in response to a
driver ABI change between 7.0 and 7.1.

It's possible that xserver-xorg-video-all isn't installable yet on alpha;
there have been some build failures in individual drivers, which may prevent
having a consistent set of all of them at present.

Anyway, I've tested 7.1 on my system too, and it doesn't look any better
(with the MGA driver) than 7.0 did.  So I'm beginning to dig through the
diff for the driver between 6.9 and 7.1, and if I don't find anything, start
looking at the server as well.