Re: xorg 7.0 and Radeon 7500

Here's where things stand as of this morning...  I had a chance to try
booting a 2.6.18-rc1 kernel with no drm support, and no framebuffer
support.  Objective was to try the xorg.conf radeon driver with no dri
and without possible interference from the framebuffer support.  Other
xorg.conf items of interest: no loading of the dri module, NoInt10 set
to "true", default depth of 16, 1024x768 resolution.

Result: when gdm started, the screen switched to vt7 and blanked, then
nothing...  At that point, the machine was still responsive as far as
being able to login remotely and retrieve a copy of the Xorg.0.log file.
The console keyboard was at least minimally responsive: hitting CAPS_LOCK
and NUM_LOCK would at least toggle the LEDs.  When I tried switching to
vt1 (ctrl+alt+f1), the machine locked-up solid -- remote session became
unresponsive, and had to hit the reset switch to recover.  No "Oops"
evident at least as far as anything captured in the system logs.

Full Xorg.0.log (as it existed prior to attempting to switch from vt7)
available on request.  No "(EE)" lines.  However, the following section
struck me as odd:

(...)
(II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 3, Detected Type: 0
(II) RADEON(0):
(II) RADEON(0): Primary:
 Monitor   -- NONE
 Connector -- DVI-I
 DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
 TMDS Type -- Internal
 DDC Type  -- DVI_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
 Monitor   -- NONE
 Connector -- VGA
 DAC Type  -- Primary
 TMDS Type -- NONE
 DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=12 min=20000 max=35000; xclk=20000
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode disabled
(==) RADEON(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) RADEON(0): Validating modes on Primary head ---------
(...)

The system monitor is a CRT on the Primary connector (DVI).

At this point, I'm out of ideas pending hearing back from the fbdev and
radeonfb developers, and I need to allow a few more days for them to
respond.  Thought is, I should get the more generic framebuffer
capabilities working before I worry about the ATI-specific driver issues.
As always, advice and suggestions are welcome.

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com