Re: xorg 7.0 and Radeon 7500

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:15:42AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Mike Campbell wrote:
> > I've removed my previously working radeon 9100 and put the old elsa gloria back in for now because of hard lockups with or without dri.
> > At first, only dri was causing lockups, but now xorg 7 locks up with or without dri.

> > Hopefully this will be resolved soon; i'm starting to get worried about the state of Alpha ports: how long will we have a broken libc?, freebsd dropping alpha in 7.x, a lot less traffic on this list than there used to be... among other issues.

> I share all of these concerns.  I'm beginning to wonder just how many of
> us are left...  I've been posting here on the assumption the problems
> I'm seeing are Alpha-specific.  There's an implicit assumption that the
> developers who maintain Alpha ports for Debian are at least lurking in
> the background.  As far as helping ourselves, I suspect the odds would
> improve with judicious crossposting, but *where*?  The libc and Xorg
> lists are high-traffic, and at least in the case of libc, the Alpha-
> specific problems with LinuxThreads are known and not going to be fixed
> (per Ulrich Drepper -- gotta wonder if the problems would be allowed to
> persist if they affected x86).

Ulrich Drepper isn't the glibc maintainer for Debian.  If you want your
Debian glibc fixed, the place to look is debian-glibc@lists.debian.org.

Likewise, if the X problems are believed to be fixed in Xorg 7.1, it would
be a good idea to actually test this and report to debian-x precisely what
does or doesn't work in 7.1 vs. 7.0, including as much specifics as possible
about the particular bit of X that fixes the problem.  Currently the XSF is
targetting Xorg 7.1 for etch, but if it happens that there are
alpha-specific bugs *not* fixed in 7.1, waiting until 7.1 is in unstable
probably doesn't leave much time for tracking down other big bugs before
release.