Re: updated kernels / miata sound

Tyson Whitehead wrote:
> On Thu May 25 2006 10:11, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > I'm going to try 2.6.17-rc5 with Tyson Whitehead's patches (to
> > "sound/isa/es18xx.c" and "include/asm-generic/dma-mapping.h") and see
> > if that at least gets things up and running.  I'm particularly wanting
> > to know if the ISA DMA problems on Alpha have been addressed in some
> > way other than the dma-mapping.h patch.
>
> Yeah.  The DMA problems were fixed in the linux-kernel upstream in the next
> kernel release (which is now quite a few kernel releases back).

That's good to know.  The dma-mapping.h patch was innocuous enough
to not worry about bad side-effects -- at worst, it would be unnecessary.
I'll remove it for the next build, whenever that happens.

> The endless looping is still an outstanding issue though.  I have posted to
> the alsa upstream about it (see bug #0001246 at "www.alsa-project.org"), but
> nothing has happened.  Perhaps if more people could chip in and say that it
> fixes problems for them too.

Well, crud...  The "es18xx.c" patch didn't make any difference for me.
Audio output still loops, and the machine still gets hosed (requires
hitting the reset switch to recover after successfully interrupting
"aplay" from the keyboard).

I don't mind being a guinea pig for whatever fix/workaround/troubleshooting
anyone would care to request I try.  Recovery of ext3 filesystems is pretty
painless, so at the moment, having to hit the reset switch is merely an
annoyance.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct@frus.com