Re: latest debian-installer fixes: TITAN compatibility, de2104x support

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 03:29:40PM +0100, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> Wonderful, tested the new -generic images on a SRM machine - works
> still perfectly. And thanks for your work to get prctl working! Now I
> can start programs that flood my logs with unaligned traps simply
> with "prctl --unaligned=silent <cmd>".

Or you could start them with prctl --unaligned=signal, and then report bugs
about the unaligned traps ;)

Anyway, I see a bug report has been filed now requesting that alpha be added
to the arch list for prctl.

> Now I am very happy with alpha support, the only thing is the problem
> with multithreaded apps (the bug in glibc that creates defunct
> processes)! Is there any news about that? This is very annoying
> because there is a patch available for that since about 3-4 months!!!
> Why is nobody able to apply this patch to glibc without discussing
> all the time about pros and cons that does not matter?

Sorry, to you have a pointer to the patch for this?  I don't think there are
any alpha porters actively involved in the glibc packaging right now; I
guess there ought to be, but so far alpha has generally been reliable enough
that there hasn't been a need. :/  Of course, I'm sure even with commit
access I can't apply it without figuring out what pros and cons *do* matter,
so you might want to spell out which ones you believe don't matter :)

> Or the other chance to fix that: What about NPTL - are the buildd's
> now linux2.6 and can compile NPTL libc's?

I think we have 2.6 on the buildds now, but I don't know what the plans are
for NPTL.  We can't reasonably make a complete switch to NPTL-only until we
know what the upgrade path from sarge will look like, or until after etch's
release; there are already problems with circular deps between the kernels
and the initramfs tools, so we need to plan carefully any changes to this
area.