Re: testing wanted: debian-installer, now with 2.6.15

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:51:45AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> As of two days ago, the debian-installer svn tree has been switched to use
> Linux 2.6.15 exclusively on alpha, instead of the previous 2.4.27.  This
> means that with the most recent daily builds, all installer images for alpha
> are using 2.6 kernels *only*, and the current plan is that d-i beta2 will be
> the same.  If you haven't tried 2.6 on your alpha yet, now would be a good
> time so you can let us know if it doesn't work before we drop 2.4 for etch
> completely.

Tried the netinstall CD from 02/07/06 on LX164, and found the following:

1. installer used 2.6.15 kernel with LEGACY_START option
2. installed kernel 2.4.27 with LEGACY_START option

Neither of those will boot on DS15/DS25/ES45 (among others) because of
the LEGACY_START.

AFAIK, all SRM console machines will boot kernels without LEGACY_START.

Only MILO-based machines require LEGACY_START.

3. de4x5 driver chosen for the 21143-based DE500 NIC with the installed
   kernel, instead of the tulip driver

IIRC, de4x5 can't do full duplex. But then again, de4x5 will work on
all (?) boxes, whereas tulip is known to fail on some (AS250/AS500).

4. in xorg.conf, had to change the mouse to /dev/psaux.

5. for Radeon 7500, drm looked OK in the log, but dmesg showed some
   error that wasn't very helpful...

Otherwise, it all worked MUCH better than any previous Debian install
I've attempted, and was very usable after reboot.

Nice Work!!!

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com