Re: multiple 2.6.8-2 issues

On Thu December 22 2005 15:52, Bob Tracy wrote:
> While I'm on your screen, if you would be so kind, please confirm
> that the sound hardware for the PWS is probably an ES1888 supported by
> the ALSA snd-es18xx driver.  I wasn't paying attention when I had the
> case open to add an additional hard disk and more memory :-).

It is in my PWS 500au.  You need to pass the "isa-pnp=0" option to the module
to get it to load.  Note that the modprobe utilities have changed their
configuration layout from 2.4 to 2.6 (put "options snd-es18xx isa-pnp=0" in a
file under /etc/modprobe.d/)

I also had problems with playback looping infinitely over about the first
second of sound.  There's a patch on my machine to switch the driver to
alternate interupt detection code to get around this.

Directory:  http://whitehead.apmaths.uwo.ca/~tyson/
Files:
  alpha-alsa.patch  [the patch]
  kernel-image-2.6.* and linux-image-2.6.* [rebuilt stock kernels with the
patch]

Later!  -T

PS:  If you are going to use udev, you probably want a very recent kernel.
The kernel event interface has been influx and seems to have just settled
down (even with as recent a kernel as 2.6.12 there seems to be a disagreement
with udev and the kernel on how the kernel event's socket interface coexists
with its /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug interface -- events get dropped).

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe at uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                          Dept. of Applied Mathematics,