Re: fakeroot causing package building problems?

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:18:56PM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:

> fakeroot seems to be in trouble in unstable at the moment; my alpha
> box is now pretty much unusable as a Debian development box; dpkg-deb
> doesn't work under fakeroot any more, so most attempts to build
> packages just don't work properly.  I suspect my issue is the same as:

> I haven't managed to fix this on my own machine; I've rebuilt
> coreutils and tar against the current glibc, as suggested in that bug
> report, but fakeroot is still failing its self tests when I try to
> build it, and the binary package currently available in unstable is
> unusable.  I also rebuilt dpkg, but that didn't make any difference
> either; I seem to be in the catch 22 that I really need to compile
> fakeroot against this new glibc, but I'm not making any real progress
> with it.

The issue is that fakeroot's protocol passes instances of struct stat
around to be fiddled with, and this struct changed (on alpha only) with
glibc 2.3.5.  The maintainer isn't keen to add support to fakeroot for
converting between different versions of the struct, since this means
duplicating a fair amount of glibc code that has to be tracked
separately for each architecture.

That means that all programs invoked under fakeroot which make use of
the stat() family of function calls need to be built against the same
version of glibc (2.3.2 vs. 2.3.5) as fakeroot itself.  The problem will
certainly shake itself out eventually as packages are rebuilt, but in
the meantime the alpha autobuilder has been switched to using sudo
instead of fakeroot.  I'll see what I can do about getting the current
version of fakeroot rebuilt against glibc 2.3.5 to help this along.

> Surely I'm not the only one being bitten by this, but I'm a bit
> stumped as to where to go from here.  Any suggestions?

As Tyson suggested, the only available option right now is to use sudo
or su instead of fakeroot.