fakeroot causing package building problems?

fakeroot seems to be in trouble in unstable at the moment; my alpha box is now pretty much unusable as a Debian development box; dpkg-deb doesn't work under fakeroot any more, so most attempts to build packages just don't work properly. I suspect my issue is the same as:

I haven't managed to fix this on my own machine; I've rebuilt coreutils and tar against the current glibc, as suggested in that bug report, but fakeroot is still failing its self tests when I try to build it, and the binary package currently available in unstable is unusable. I also rebuilt dpkg, but that didn't make any difference either; I seem to be in the catch 22 that I really need to compile fakeroot against this new glibc, but I'm not making any real progress with it.

Surely I'm not the only one being bitten by this, but I'm a bit stumped as to where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Tim