Re: libffm adoption/change of soname

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 13:19 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm adopting libffm, and noticed that it has the erroneous soname of
> > libffm.so.0.  Since the library interface has changed on just about
> > every upgrade, it should really be libffm.so.0.28.
> >
> > On the other hand, the interface has only changed once since it was made
> > a Debian package, so libffm.so.1 sort of makes sense.  But this is
> > incompatible with upstream's name.
> >
> > So I'd like to leave the package name as libffm1(-dev), but change the
> > soname.  Packages won't need to change dependencies, but binaries built
> > against it will need to relink since libffm.so.0 will no longer exist.
> > As far as I know, the only package affected is illuminator, which I
> > maintain (hence my adoption, as it was headed for the trash bin).
> >
> > Any comments/objections?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Adam
>
> Why not rename the package and soname to libffm0.28(-dev) so they make
> sense and match up again?

You know, that makes sense.  If I'm going to change the soname, so
packages have to be rebuilt anyway, I really should change the package
name with it (policy may even require it).  (That should have been
obvious to me...)

Since it's not likely that people will want to install multiple versions
of the -dev package, I'll just make that libffm-dev.

Thanks,

-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html