Re: d-i 2005-06-03: Aiee with QLogic ISP1020

At 16:20 05.06.2005, Adrian Zaugg wrote:
Dear List

I just tried the newest Sarge d-i (20050603) on a AlphaServer 4100 with
a Qlogic ISP 1020 and I'm getting an
  Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
  0000000000000240
  kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler

This happens while formatting a RAID5 array with ext3 FS (during
syncing). It seems to be related to Bug #298136.

Should I report this as a additional note to the existing bug or file a
new bug against d-i? Is this important, normal, severe or superflous?

I know this error also when installing on an Alphastation 500 with ISP1020. It finally worked after retrying and completely disableing swap partition in a console parallel to d-i directly after activating it by d-i. Anyhow with XFS as root file system it crashed every time. With EXT3 it worked finally. The only problem then was that d-i tried to open the CD drive and it was blocked by the blue alphastation cd access cover -> crash with paging request

When later trying to use the installed system (kernel 2.4.27 as with d-i) the system had problems with burning CDs. After start burning it crashed with same error message.

The problem seems to be the very buggy qlogicisp driver. I then upgraded to 2.6.8 with the QLA1280 driver that now handles ISP1020 and after that everything worked (stable system, burning of CDs). With 2.6.8 I only had the ext3 problems at the beginning (Norbert fixed this) and a crash in the interrupt handler (can be fixed with changes in arch/alpha/kernel/irq.c by copying the code from i386 and all other architectures - seems to be a relict from older kernels, patch is accessible from me). The new kernel 2.6.11 worked with the same fix and later kernels should work because the kernel developers now change all platform specific IRQ code to a generic one, where possible (in 2.6.11 most platforms are converted: i386, x86_64, parisc, mips, [alpha still missing])

I would suggest to use kernel 2.6.8 also for d-i or give the user a chance to use both kernels like with i386 and the grub boot menu.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de - http://www.schindlers-software.de
eMails: uwe@thetaphi.de (private); info@schindlers-software.de (company)
Tel./Fax: +49 700 PCLATEIN (+49 700 72528346)

Schindlers Software - Home of Schindlers PC-LATEIN 3.10
DIE Software zum Lateinlernen!