Re: Debian Sarge on AlphaServer DS25

Hi Valerio

Valerio Daelli wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your answer, really useful.
> Our problem is that we don't have an Alpha Server working, so we can't
> compile aboot and build the CD.
> We have many i386, but on this platform is not possible to compile aboot
> (please correct me if I am wrong).
> So my question would be: is there a way to build a bootable Alpha Linux
> Imagem from a i386? Maybe should we use MILO?
I think you are going to far this way. You may try several ways to get
Debian Sarge on your Alpha:
  - Install woody, change the entries in /etc/apt/sources.list
    from stable to sarge and do a apt-get dist-upgrade
  - Install Sarge from the rc3 CD
    (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/)
  - Use dsf (Debian From Scratch;
    http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/)

In an earlier posting you mention the error "The installation stopped at
the aboot prompt, saying it couldn't unzip the kernel." If I remember
right, this may also occur, if you pass some wrong arguments. Don't you
want to post the exact lines you typed for booting? (including the
output of SRM command "show dev")

I found the most reliable way to install debian on an alpha, if all
others fail, using floppy diskette from woody. Use the following to boot
them from srm commandline:
   set boot_osflags "root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1"
   boot dva0 -file linux.bin

Regards, Adrian.