Re: Sarge Release Notes - Architecture specific news?

Hello,
On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:56:21AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 01:27:08PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Hello,
> > On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 03:06:13AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > (Resending to arch lists.)
> > >
> > > If there is any architecture specific news that you'd like to have
> > > included in the Release Notes (like new subarchs supported or dropped),
> > > please send a proposed text to the d-doc mailing list (CC your
> > > architecture list) before the end of this week.
>
> > I did not check this, but it has to be taken care of, that only SRM
> > machines are supported, i.e., all milo-only machines cannot install
> > Sarge, and those with both AlphaBIOS/SRM need to switch to SRM before
> > installing.
>
> > Who is responsible for the alpha-specific text? If you can point me to
> > an authorative URL and a contact person, I can try to phrase
> > something, but it may take a few days as I am on the move, currently.
>
> Does this need to be in the release notes when it's already in the
> installation manual?  Upgrading a woody machine already running milo should
> work fine.

I am not sure. I just had a look a the Release Notes, and in chapter 2
it states that the number of architectures has not changed. This is,
of course, correct, but a well-defined subset is only supported via
"install woody and upgrade". Of course, the manual referes for details
to the web pages where I stated that only SRM-based machines are
supported. Nevertheless, either one sentece below this table or in the
table it *could* be mentioned, because someone might see that Linux
Alpha is supported, see that the machine runs under Linux and miss
that she needs SRM for the combination (because she reads the
installation manual later). For example, I see that the hppa-port uses
a paragraph there. If you like, I can try to phrase one or two
sentences there for alpha.

But I guess it is not so important. So if this is somehow problematic
to add/change, then we can safly leave it as is.

Greetings

         Helge
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de