Re: Installing Sarge on XL300

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 01:56:28PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 02:55:52PM +0200, Martin Langer wrote:
> > I've tried to install sarge on an Alpha XL-300 without success. I've
> > taken my old milo (from woody) to boot the RC2-NetInst-CD. The install
> > was smoothly. But booting the new system failed due to the already known
> > sym53c8xx_2 bug (#284961).
>
> No, that bug was diagnosed as being one that only applied to upgrades from
> previous 2.4 kernels.  Whatever bug you're seeing, it isn't 284961.  Can you
> provide more detail about what you're seeing?

These are the messages if I try to boot my fresh installed system. And
yes, sda2 is the correct partition.

[...]
Booting GENERIC on Alcor variation Bret using machine vector XLT from MILO
Command line: bootdevice=sda2 bootfile=vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
[...]
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or 08:02

Also I can see wrong sizes of the partitions if I use df or fdisk. This
effect touches all harddisks. They are all using the sym53c810
controller, but the cdrom at the same controller shows correct values.

martin