Re: help: hang on X start with PSW500au and s3 virge

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:32:13AM +1100, Randall Wayth wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response. Alas, I have tried different PCI slots
> with no luck. If I try using one of the 64-bit slots then the machine
> does not boot, with a message from the SRM bios saying there is an
> "illegal device" or something like that. So the machine will only boot
> with the s3virge card in a 32-bit slot.

Solve this by typing in to the SRM:

	>>> set pci_device_override -1

Uh, do this BEFORE moving the card to a 64-bit slot, of course... ;-}

> The requirement for the "BusID" parameter came after upgrading to sarge
> from woody. Prior to that, the card that came with the machine worked
> using the "tga" driver without the need for the BusID param. After that,
> the BusID line was required for X4.3 to work with the existing tga card
> (error message was: " TGA: No matching Device section for instance
> (BusID PCI:0:12:0) found") and was required for X4.3 to even begin
> starting up with the s3virge card.

Yes, I remember that the behavior changed between versions of XFree86.

> Incidentally, the existing card was
> installed in a 64-bit slot, so this BusID thing does not appear to
> depend on the slot which the card is installed in. It seems more likely
> to be something which has changed between the different versions of X in
> woody and sarge.

Yes, the BusID is/was an XFree86 version-related thing...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com