Re: AS 4100 boot

Dear Jiří

I don't understand exactly, what your intention is. I suppose you are still trying to install Debian on your AS4100, so I quickly summarize my nightly adventures. I might can help because I own several of these machines. The most promising way for installing Debian on AS4100 is to follow the manual from: http://www.alphalinux.org/docs/rawhide/4100_install.shtml

Note, that this manual is for RedHat and thus some little things change:
- You can use a more recent SRM BIOS like v6.0
- Use the Debian Woody Boot-Floppies on 1.44MB floppy disks (one for
  root.bin and rescue.bin; see the Debian installation manual)
- The line "boot dva0 -file vmlinux.gz" from the above manual must be
  altered to: boot dva0 -file linux.bin
- You must remove any DEC OEM DAC960 before!

After you installed woody, you can change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to sarge, if you like and perform an apt-get dist-upgrade. When you have a running system on Disk you can start trying to play around with your RAID card, or if it fails with Software Raid (see e.g. http://www.james.rcpt.to/programs/debian/raid1/; for Software Raid to work use a kernel >= 2.4.27; this manual is also useful to see how a system can be moved to another disk/partition).

Out of four 4100s I tried to install with d-i booting off cd (from d-i sarge rc1 and rc2), three failed. I had to use the woody floppy way (none boots the woody cd). This might be due to missing knowledge on my side.

Regards, Adrian.

Jiří Jánský wrote:
Hi,
sorry, but I'm not able to find System.map file on CD (it isn't in boot directory on CD).
I looked in initrd, but there System.map isn't too   :-)

Do anybody know, where can I find this file on "Debian testing(sarge) netinstall CD"?

Shold I compile new kernel (with System.map file :-) and play with compiled in drivers to boot that server?

Is here any cross-compilation guid to compile alpha kernel on i386 (i haven't more alphas).

Jiri Jansky