Re: DEC 3000 problems

Hi,

> I have a 3000/M300LX and a M300X, which are both in working condition,
> (albeit the 300X has no internal disk) which would be ideal targets ;-)
>
> [del]
> >corrupted flash, would I still be able to get to the SRM prompt ? The
> >reason I ask is that I'm thinking of recovering the flash by writing a
> >small program I can upload using SRM deposit commands. That program
> >would then load a correct flash image using xmodem over the console
> >serial port and write it to the flash. Is this approach doable ? The
> >only other way I see is to use the SROM mini console port, but I have no
> >idea how that port works.=20
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to write the whole flash? My SRM boot message:
>
> DEC 3000 - M300X
> Digital Equipment Corporation
>      VPP PAL V5.56-80800101/OSF PAL V1.45-80800201 - Built on 28-JAN-1997 10:54:25.34
>
> TCINFO      DEVNAM        DEVSTAT
> ------      --------      --------
>                  CPU      OK KN16-CA -V7.0-S889-I21F-sV2.1 -DECchip 21064  P3.0
>                  OSC      175 MHz
>                 ASIC      OK
>                  MEM      OK
>                FEROM      OK
> 6
>                  CXT      OK
> 5
>                  NVR      OK
>                  SCC      ? 60
>                   NI      OK
>                 ISDN      OK
> 4
>                 SCSI      OK
> 0-PMAGB-BA      TC0
>
> Appears to be very similar to yours:
>
> >Devnam           Devstat
> >--------         -------
> >     CPU          OK KN16-CA -V7.0-S889-I21F-sV2.1 -DECchip 21064  P3.0
> >     OSC          175 MHz
> >    ASIC          OK
> >     MEM          OK 64MB
> >     NVR          OK
> >     CXT          INIT-S-MEM...
> [del]
>
> So, if someone is telling me what to do to get the FEPROM contents out
> of it, you can have them. Alternatively, I would send the whole machine

To read the FEPROM contents, you could use an adapted version of
Jan-Benedict's dumper program. It's quite slow though as it uses SRM
commands to read the flash byte by byte over a 9600bps link. If you want
to try this, I attached my adapted version. A much faster way would be
to write a small C program which mmaps physical addresses 0x180000000
and 0x1a0000000 and dumps 256KB starting at each of those addresses. I'm
not sure if this is possible under Tru64 though.

> to you or to someone else who can de-solder the proms without destroying
> the box, read them out, re-program yours and put them back in. I know
> where the hot end of a soldering iron is, but such treatment would be
> too much for me. IIRC, you've tried the firmware flashing procedure
> already and failed, right?

Yes. The firmware flashing procedure failed unfortunately.

> HTH,
> Uli
> BTW: Do you have any patches ready to try out? Hint, hint ;-)

I have a booting 2.4.27 with serial console but lacking any other device
drivers. There is a lance driver, but not yet fully tested. If you're
interested to test, I'm happy to send you a patch. Be warned that the
code might corrupt your FEROMs, so be sure to set the flash write
protect jumper in the write disabled position !

Cheers,

Peter (p2).