DEC 3000 problems

Hi,

I know this is slightly off topic but I have no idea where else to ask for
more info. I'm working on getting linux to run on the DEC 3000/300 (the
old turbochannel based alpha systems). Unfortunately I managed to
corrupt some bytes in 1 of the 2 flash chips on the board probably while
debugging the ethernet driver. The result is that the machine refuses to
boot. See bootup-log.txt shows what is displayed on the serial console.
The INIT-S-* sequence continues until I press the halt button on the
back of the machine. When I give a test ferom command on the SRM prompt
I get '? T-ERR-FEROM -  IOROM CHKSUM: Read = 50, Calc = 59'. (See also
test-ferom-log.txt). Trying to boot the machine always results in a
single INIT-S-* sequence and then the SRM prompt (See also
boot-cmd-log.txt).
If read the manual correctly, there are 2 flash chips in the system, 1 mapped
at 0x1.8000.0000 and 1 mapped at 0x1.e000.0000. I guess only 1 of those
is corrupted. Is this true ? If so, which one ? Does the SRM code reside
in the same flash or in the other flash ? Ie. if I would erase the
corrupted flash, would I still be able to get to the SRM prompt ? The
reason I ask is that I'm thinking of recovering the flash by writing a
small program I can upload using SRM deposit commands. That program
would then load a correct flash image using xmodem over the console
serial port and write it to the flash. Is this approach doable ? The
only other way I see is to use the SROM mini console port, but I have no
idea how that port works.

Thanks,

Peter (p2).
>>> test ferom
T-STS-FEROM - CheckSum Test
? T-ERR-FEROM -  IOROM CHKSUM: Read = 50, Calc = 59
?? 000        NI 0x0000
?? 000      SCSI 0x0000
?? 000      ISDN 0x0000
?? fff     FEROM 0x0008

  84 FAIL

    DEC 3000 - M300X
Digital Equipment Corporation
System conducting power up tests

Devnam           Devstat
--------         -------
     CPU          OK KN16-CA -V7.0-S889-I21F-sV2.1 -DECchip 21064  P3.0
     OSC          175 MHz
    ASIC          OK
     MEM          OK 64MB
     NVR          OK
     CXT          INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...
INIT-S-NVR...
INIT-S-CXT...
INIT-S-MEM...

?01 EXT HLT
  PC= 00000000.000799F0 PSL= 00000000.00001F00

>>> boot
INIT-S-CPU...
INIT-S-ASIC...
INIT-S-MEM...