Re: DEC 3000 problems

I trolled around quickly, and the most useful stuff I found for your machine
is on the net at:

    http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/Alpha/firmware/archive/dec3000.html

It seems possible that you might be able to boot the firmware updater even if
the normal system bootstrap is failing.  I'd certainly try that before doing
anything more esoteric.

Also, while it's too late to help you now, it's pretty clear from reading the
firmware updater's documentation that there's a jumper you can move to write
protect the flash... might want to do that before you proceed with your
development, regardless of what it takes to get the machine fixed.   ;-)

If you can't boot the firmware updater, log the errors you get from it and I'll
try to find someone in HP who knows/remembers enough about that type of system
to suggest what you should try next.

Bdale