PC164 and woody r2 problem

[REPOST - previous one got mangled in transmission,
sorry for the duplicate]

Hello,

I have been trying for the past two days to install
woody r2 on a pc164-based system made by Enorex and
am a bit at the end of my wits, so I'd appreciate if
someone on the list could help. [Premise: am not a
newbie, I installed and worked on a bunch of
axp-linux systems until about 4 years ago, so I ought
to know the bloody installation basics :-]

Anyway, here's the problem: I am trying to boot from
the the installation CD, get the ARC console
configured accordingly, the CD drive
whirrs, linload loads ok from (/milo/linload.exe),
milo loads ok (from /milo/pc164), then I get the
milo prompt and it stops there.

Milo can "see" the CD alright - I can cd to it and
list its contents from the milo prompt. At this point
I tried several combinations of boot commands, and
they all fail. For example:

boot hdc0:/boot/linux root=/dev/hdc0 load_ramdisk=1

This loads the kernel, then panics with an error
saying that no init file was found.

boot hdc0:/boot/linux root=/dev/hdc0
initrd=/boot/root.bin

This panics with an error saying that no valid
ramdisks found at 0

boot hdc0:/boot/linux root=/dev/hdc0
load_ramdisk=1 initrd=/boot/root.bin

This panics saying again that no init file was found.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help

Franco