Re: Can't boot a kernel under SRM

On Wed, 2004-01-14 00:06:05 -0600, Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20040114060605.GE19077@quetzlcoatl.dodds.net>:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:29:33PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Depending on your hardware config, you may need to back down to 2.4.20
> or 2.4.19 (I forget which) to get something bootable.  I've been told,
> and have realized now that I can confirm, that later 2.4-series kernels
> have trouble talking across PCI bridges on alphas.  I would hope
> someone's working on fixing this, but I know that neither 2.4.22 nor
> 2.4.23 can handle my ethernet/scsi card (an integrated tulip/qlogicisp
> device, no idea if it has a proper name :).

Keep in mind that there are two drivers for "tulip" style network chips.
"tulip" is for the newer cards, "de4x5" is for older cards.
Unfortunately, there are some PCI IDs which are accepted by both
drivers, but only one of them will properly drive the hardware.

>From my Miata (PWS 500) I also remember having had some trouble with
the qlogic driver, but those vanished at some time. However, I don't
remember *what* actually solved that...

MfG, JBG