Re: Can't boot a kernel under SRM

John,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:29:33PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> I got my SRM booting problem fixed (turned out I needed to set os_type).
> My next problem is that neither IDE nor SCSI works on my LX164 system
> when booted from SRM.

> On the IDE side, I am getting a lot of "irq timeout" errors, and
> sometimes I get "timeout waiting for DMA".  The system might eventually
> boot, or it might not.

> The SCSI problems depend on which kernel version I try.  In 2.6, it
> locks hard.  In 2.4.22 from the "business card" Debian-installer test
> image, I get:

> CACHE TEST FAILED: script execution failed
> start=53c2ae64, pc=53c2ae64, end=5ec2a90
> CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED

> I have a Symbios 53c875 card.

Depending on your hardware config, you may need to back down to 2.4.20
or 2.4.19 (I forget which) to get something bootable.  I've been told,
and have realized now that I can confirm, that later 2.4-series kernels
have trouble talking across PCI bridges on alphas.  I would hope
someone's working on fixing this, but I know that neither 2.4.22 nor
2.4.23 can handle my ethernet/scsi card (an integrated tulip/qlogicisp
device, no idea if it has a proper name :).

Good luck,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer