Re: Alpha Server 2100 4/275 Compaq AVGA and XFree86 3.3.6

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:08:41PM +0000, Richard Page wrote:
> Jay, forget last message, I have got the TGA card working on the SRM
> but now it falls over during the boot sequence gets to aboot ok but
> when it gets to "starting kernel boot/Linux with arguments root=dev/ram"
> it just freezes!

Or, possibly, the kernel just booted doesn't have TGA support compiled in...

> Since I cannot see any reason for this to be related to the graphics card
> change I guess I need to look for a disk problem - don't you love it when
> multiple problems need isolating!

:-\

> I tried booting from floppy, 3.0r1 and r2 CD and the serge netinstall - back
> to a hardware fault unless you can think of any other likely problem!

Check the configuration files for those kernels and ensure that TGA support
is built in.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com