Re: Alpha Server 2100 4/275 Compaq AVGA and XFree86 3.3.6

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 9:28 pm, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:19:39PM +0000, Richard Page wrote:
> > Still trying to get this Compaq graphics card working, it seems to only
> > be supported by XFree86 3.3.6 - I tried installing it with apt-get but it
> > does not seem available -does anybody know where the binary is or do I
> > have to compile.
>
> The docs for 3.3.6 may SAY that it's supported, but I think that's wrong.
>
> The code was dropped from 4.x.x because it hadn't been maintained for
> many years, IIRC.
>
> I'd try to find a nice PCI Matrox Millennium or perhaps older PCI S3
> Trio64, as both are supported through 4.x.x.
>
> Good luck.
>
>  --Jay++

Thanks for saving me time Jay, I have a couple of DEC 21030
one which worked when I installed Debian on an Alpha station
200 4/233 - but playing around with them in the server has not
been successful - do you know this card - the one in my hand is a 54-23184-01
Should this work in the server - should I be changing its configuration?
How should the SRM console react to different cards?

Another question - because I have taken the Compaq EISA card in and out I am
getting an SRM error message - I have an ECU floppy but how do I proceed when
I get to the update configuration floppy - when I do not have one and cannot
see how to generate a new one!

Sorry for all the questions - this is new to me despite 12 years with Digital
- should have taken more opportunities on the technical side!

Regards

Richard