Re: [OT] / on soft-raid1, disk labels

Hello Norbert

I was trying to install this for a *long* time and managed recently. You need
kernel 2.4.27 (compiled with >gcc3.3), earlier versions fail when syncing.

Quoting Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>:

> BTW: Is this autodect softraid working on alpha the same way (different
> disk labels bsd)?
On alpha you need to boot from bsd disklabels, but those don't support
autodetect softraid - at least no-one could show me they really do. Hence, you
have to setup a boot partition, which is not on the raid and has bsd
disklabels, and a root partition, which is on the raid and has pc-style
disklabels (type fd). If I remember right, you cannot mix pc-style and bsd
disklabels on one physical disk, so you need to have a separate physical
bootdisk. Apart from that, it's the same as on a i386.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Regards, Adrian.