Re: Installation on 164-SX

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 04:06:58PM -0300, ivan wrote:
> I'm trying to install woody on a alpha SX164, but i still got no sucess. I
> can't boot from the cd with milo, when I load manually the kernel image
> the system hangs.

What's the last message appearing? Does the kernel boot or are that
the messages of MILO initializing the devices before booting the
kernel? IIRC MILO prints a "---------" before the real kernel messages
appear.

> I was hoping to be able to instal woody or sarge on this
> machine without removing the AlphaBIOS and using SRM. Is this possible?
> How?

Well, the main problem when installing with AlphaBIOS is MILO. You'll
have to search for different versions and try them... IIRC I installed
my SX164 via MILO-floppy, maybe you could try that.

Do you really want to use Windows NT 4 on your Alpha or why do you
insist on AlphaBIOS? If not, change to SRM :) IMHO MILO is just too
much of a hassle: as it can't read "sparse superblocks" introduced
into ext2 in Kernel 2.2 (!) you'll have to format your /boot-partition
properly. If there is no MILO supporting your SCSI-controller you've
lost as well... Of course, the problem about SRM is that you'll have
to switch the partitioning to BSD-disklabel but IMO that's worth it.

Or do you fear that flashing the BIOS may be a problem? Well, not with
your Alpha :) Even when you've mis-flashed your EPROM, you can put a
file with a BIOS-image on a FAT-formatted floppy and boot with the
"fail safe boot mode". You could for example put the SRM-image on a
floppy and boot with this mode (drop me a note if you haven't got the
SX164 manual) to check it out.

Cheers
   Thimo