Re: Debian on a Alphaserver 1200

Hello,
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:20:26AM +0200, Angelo Machils wrote:
> Yesterday I was able to make the partitions (I made an 'a' partition,
> leaving more then 10Mb, free at the first cilinders as the manuals state),
> then making several other partitions to fill the first 18Gb disk (not making
> any partition bigger then 6Gb, because ext2 performs poorly on partition
> bigger then 6Gb and leaving the 'c' because that is supposed to be the whole
> disk if I understand everything correctly). Then I was able to install, but
> when I tried to boot it from the disk, it gave me an error message. Since it
> was already 9 in the evening, I decided to go home :) I am in another office
> now, so I can't really check the error message, but perhaps I made a mistake
> in the partitions, I'm not sure. I have to check tomorrow, and try and try
> again :) I find the partitioning quite 'difficult' and there isn't much of
> documentation. The things I find are for installing Linux as a second OS in
> a dual-boot environment.

In fact it is not very difficult, just unusual for people coming from
the x86-world.

The partitions are labled A:, B:, C: and so on. (I think you can have
eight, i.e., up to H:). So you leave some space at the beginning, 10MB
is much more than you need, but it does not harm. Then simply put in
the partitions as you need them. If you only use Linux, you can safly
use C: as normal partition. Some *BSD-derived OS use C: for
"everything" so they can dump the disk in one go. Linux does not need
it, and you should only do it if you intend to share the disk between
Linux and another OS.

So: