Miata and ECC-ram

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade memory of my PWS 600a and bought two sticks of ECC
Kingston RAM each 256MB. I made sure that both sticks are exactly the
same type and went on installing them. The system seems to be running
fine with dmesg showing that there's now 896MB instead of 384MB installed.
But as soon as I install new packages or upgrade the installed ones the
kernel freezes with some debug output (which I will post if needed).
I tried using only the new ECC-RAM sticks  - same result. I tried using
kernel 2.2.20-generic, 2.4.26 and 2.6.8-rc2.
It seems that as soon as the kernel tries to allocate the memory it
freezes the system.

Now here are some questions:
How can I find out if my installed RAM sticks are ECC or non-ECC?
Can one mix both?
Is there anything I can do to make them usable, like setting a proper
SRM-variable or recompiling the kernel with a new option (like
CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM)?

All help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Falko
kaethorn@stud.uni-stuttgart.de