making room for aboot on sarge inst

Ok, the install fails due to no room being make at the beginning of the disk for aboot.

---

Now, manually partitioning seems to be almost impossible, unless I'm overcomplicating it.

Note: I have many years of Tru64 4.x and 5.x and linux manually partitioning of disklabels, I know the bsd and bios differences etc. etc. Also disklabel=partition table

This XP100 has a compaq scsi disk, so it's using a bsd disklabel. I don't know if ide drives on these use a dos type bios partition table....

Sarge can automatically chop it up or manually chop it up.

Specifying a manual edit only allows you to set the Size, not the starting and ending blocks-- so how do I know where sarge is leaving the empty space-- at the beginning (good) or end (bad)?

So let it manually create a multi-user partition table, install everything, then break at the aboot install.

I jumped into a 2nd tty and did: (this was also wacky, never seen this type of disk addressing)

# fdisk /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

and then manually left 500 empty blocks at the start of the 'a' partition. I wrote out the new partition and quit. Then I reboot to be on the safe side.

Now, when sarge starts again, it will NOT see that partition table/disklabel.... I can go into a 2nd tty and verify that it still does exist! No matter what choice I want to make in Sarge, it want's to start by wiping all the partiton off the drive and installing its own.

So what are people doing to get aboot installed? This seems nuts.

-andy