RE: Debian Installer - Problems Partitioning

Not to sound like a wet blanket, but if you have to have Linux I say
give it up already and buy an Intel box, the more "standard" the better.
But expect to have problems there too, especially with the Broadcom NICs
that every new Intel box has these days.

I spent six months, on and off, trying to get Linux, any Linux (actually
I never tried SuSE...hmm...), to behave itself with Alpha 4100s.  I
tried Debian and Red Hat, threw money away on new SCSI controllers,
tried firmware upgrades, trolled the internet, gave up on having any
kind of hardware RAID, all to no avail.  I found lots of smart folks who
had teased the things into life but I'm just too dumb.  At the very
least you should ditch the DAC960s if they don't work after a week or so
of faffing around.

With Intel I can get Debian running although I had to install an old
fashioned 3Com NIC and if you have an eight-way box expect Debian only
to be able to handle seven of them.  I do think if you have to have
Linux it should be Debian.  Once you have accomplished the Herculean
task of making Debian work, it will probably stay that way, unlike Red
Hat.  Plus on Intel you will need to hit "bf24" at the first prompt of
the Debian CD (a non-2.4 kernel won't recognize your hardware, a 2.4
will recognize everything but the Broadcom NIC).

I hear rumors Debian 3.1 will have a new installer; if it provides a
nicer way to incorporate new hardware drivers it could really change the
world for morons like me.  I am pleased to see that HP are providing a
free Debian-for-Dummies wrapper for Itanium (http://hpde.linux.hp.com);
I will be trying it on an eval soon.  The one they did for Red Hat on
Alpha wasn't perfect but got me halfway there.  If you do try Red Hat on
Alpha you should use it.

Best of luck
John