Re: AlphaServer 800 Installation

Jim,

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 10:13:17AM -0400, Jim and Kelly Younkin wrote:
> As stated below, I just tried the install boot using sarge, and did not
> get the "kernel paging request" error.  Perhaps this is because I got a
> different error.  After finding the aboot.conf file on the CD image, I
> entered the command as follows:

> initrd=/boot/initrd.gz root=/dev/ram devfs=mount,dall"

Too much second-guessing of the system here.  "boot dka400 -fl 0" should
be sufficient.  In fact, even though you've duplicated the exact
argument set used by d-i, -fl 0 is preferred because some versions of
SRM have a limit on the length of the flag string.  This may be the
problem here, since 08:02 is not the correct inode for a ramdisk.

> Then I got this error:

> VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 08:02

> Please append correct "root=" boot option

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer