Re: Hi, I've installed woody on my Alphaserver, but the packages on it are quite old so I was looking for something a little more up to date, even if it's not that stable, that's ok. Going to the debian.org website for this, it was not immeiately clear to me which ISO's I needed to download, so

    ~~~~~~~~~~~

> Don't dowload any iso, unless the machine you want to upgrade has no
> network access. Instead, edit /etc/apt/sources.list and set it to use the
> distribution you want. For instance, you could add the following line:
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
>
> Then, as root, first run "apt-get update", then "apt-get dist-upgrade",
> and finally "apt-get moo" and enjoy the power of debian. :-)

There is stable, seldom released, but *very* stable. Security support
available.

There is testing, solid, very seldom breakages, quite current. No
security support. Automatically generated from unstable (see below).

There is unstable. Almost everything new goes in here, so if you use
unstable, you might experience suprises once in a while, and please
report bugs if things don't work. Recommended if you want to help
develop Debian. Packages proven ok are automatically advanced to
testing. Known security problems usually cause a prompt upload into
unstable (and, if everything goes well, 10 days later into testing).

Experimental. Don't use it unless you know what it is and the
consequences.

There are also code names. Sid==Unstable. And then every stable
release gets a code name as well. The current one is woody, the next
one will be sarge. At some point in time testing will be frozen and
called sarge.

Greetings

          Helge

--