Re: Sarge Alpha Install

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:27:11PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:

> | It is fairly easy to do in Alpha. Normally you boot the installer system
> | with a:
> | show device (shows you the SRM notation for your devices...I always forget
> | what my CDROM is....)
> | boot dkb0 -flags 0

> | The -flags 0 part passes 0 to aboot, which then loads precinfigured image
> | 0. If you drop the flags, you'll find yourself at a aboot prompt where you
> | can hit l to show the preconfigured images, hit b 1/<insert kernel stuff
> | here>, and hit enter.

> Yeah, I was already aware of this.  What I was pointing out was that
> there isn't a pre-configured kernel command line that you can pick to
> get you into expert mode like there is with i386.  (At least, there
> wasn't last time I tried d-i on alpha.  Should probably give it
> another shot now that beta 3 is out.)

Nothing's changed here.  I'm trying to resist a combinatorial explosion
of boot options for alpha; IMHO, except for the qlogic kernel bug, being
able to choose your console device is far more important than being able
to easily boot in expert mode.

As for the qlogic bug itself, I'm pondering removing qlogicisp from the
list of available SCSI modules for d-i on alpha until this is sorted
out.  This would at least make the system usable for those who have
qlogic controllers that they don't actually need.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer