Re: Disklabel for IBM DDRS 34560

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:25:27PM +0100, Hartwig Atrops wrote:
> Yesterday I received a DEC PWS 500au with an IBM 34560 SCSI disk. I try to
> install Woody 3.0r0 on it, but I have problems partitioning the disk.

If there is no data on the disk worth saving, I'd recommend zeroing out
the partition table and other areas near the start of the disk:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1048576 count=1 of=/dev/sda

(replace /dev/sda with the device of interest)

Note this will WIPE your partition table!

fdisk/cfdisk sometimes get confused if a disk already has a partition
table that is invalid or unrecognized, but if you start fresh, they'll
grab the geometry by querying the SCSI system and initialize things
properly.

-- John