Re: Video Card for PC164

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:00:41PM +0200, Stefan Schroepfer wrote:
> Greg wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Can you guys recommend a nice video card for me to put in a DEC ALPHA
> > PC164 PCI.  I have a crazy ass ACCELL Graphics Eclipse card in there
> > now and there will never be any drivers for it.  Unless of course,
> > I've missed a resource.
>
> Unfortunately I know next to nothing about AccellGraphics and
> especially this "Eclipse" model.

Model doesn't matter - there's no XFree86 support for ANY of the
AccelGraphics cards, nor is there expected to be such.

> At least Permedia II based cards
> were known to work, almost regardless of OS or firmware questions
> (ARC or SRM) on the PC164 platform.

Indeed, and even the Permedia 3/4 (PCI/AGP VX1) seems to please most
of the older SRM BIOS emulators.

> Some RADEON based cards do work on more recent Alphas, but I'm
> not sure about the PC164 (not LX, neither SX) ...

Last SRM on PC164 did NOT work with several Radeons I tried
(R100/RV100/RV200, ie original/7000/7500).

HOWEVER, if you are willing to run via ARC/MILO on PC164, not only
will it handle those cards, but XFree86 4.1.0 from RH 7.2 and later
will run 3D apps! :-) :-)

Note that the same (ARC/MILO) is true of AS500 (XLT MILO) boxes as
well, but all the other "sparse" (non-PYXIS) EV5/EV56 machines are SRM
only, IIRC.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com