Re: Problems with installing Linux on a DEC1000A

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:39:29 +0200
"Frank Frauenstein" <Frank.Frauenstein@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> maybe somebody can help me.
> I tried to install Linux (until now only RedHat 7.1) on a DEC
> Alpha1000A. The big problem is the Mylex Raid Controller, it is not
> recognised by the install-routine and therefore I cannot choose a
> partition to install Linux to.

Search the archives.

The problem is that linux driver needs at least 2.73 firmware, the latest
dec shipped was 2.70. You can still find updates and software to do the
update somewhere on the net.

Then you either have to vi -b DAC.o or edit the source and recompile the
module. Anyway, i installed the system on one of the disks in the drawer
in front of the box, hooked up to onboard qlogic 1020.

Symptopms of this driver 'fix' are usualy that all disks are pronouced as
dead almost immediately, but the arrays work ok. If anyone has figured
that out, i'm all ears.

--

Jure Pecar