Re: boot problems on alpha

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:24:24AM +0200, Joakim Roubert wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Joerg Hoh wrote:
>
> > Hmpf, you're right, it is dka400; but how can I read from this
> [...]
> > dka400.4.0.2000.0          DKA400                        RRD46  0557
> [...]
> > that RRD46 means that this is a CD-ROM drive? Is there a list available on
> > the net which explains this? I never found any.
>
> I don't know, but the RR units seems to be pretty common on the Alphas; I
> have one in my machine as well. I searched the web once to get
> specifications on it, and all I found was a "these units are baaaad"-site.
> But, well, except for being slow it works for me.

The newer (RRD44 and up) are almost always a re-badged SCSI Toshiba of
some (speed) flavor...

Remove the PARITY jumper, and usually the drive will identify itself
as what it really is, and not the DEC OEM name...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com