Ethernet strangeness on EV6 kernel 2.4.20

I have an XP1000 and have not had this problem, though I am using an older
kernel.  I definitely would notice, too - since the machine is headless, I
primarily connect to it via ethernet.  Like Bob, I compiled the ethernet
driver into the kernel, so that might be the key.  I've also plugged it into a
couple of different switches and had no problems with either one.

If you continue to have a problem after compiling in the ethernet driver
rather than building it as a module, I'd be willing to compile 2.4.20 and see
what happens on mine.